The Ministry has undergone several structural changes both in functions and nomenclature and today the Ministry of Interior is responsible for:
· Granting of Nigerian Citizenship;
· Consular and Immigration Services;
· Granting of Business Permits and Expatriate quotas;
· Co-ordination of National /Independence Day Celebrations;
· Reformation and re-integration of inmates;
· Security of lives and properties;
· Management of National emergencies;
· Recruitment of officers and men of the Prisons Service, Immigration Service, Fire Service and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps; and
· Managing the retirement benefits of retirees of Paramilitary Services under its supervision.
To provide internal security service in accordance with international best practice.
To render to Nigerians and foreigners alike, diverse internal security and other ancillary services that are highly qualitative, efficient, courteous and transparent.