The Legal Unit of the Ministry of Interior is an extension of the Chambers of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice who is the Chief Law Officer of the Federation. The Unit is presently headed by Legal Adviser assisted by nine (6) lawyers who are posted from the Federal Ministry of Justice.
To be a dynamic and vibrant Legal Unit, manned by efficient and dedicated lawyers, guaranteeing quality legal services to achieve the set goals in the Ministry of Interior
Commitment to the delivery of quality legal services and ensuring that the Ministry follows the due process of law in the discharge of its functions in order to achieve a robust Nigeria Interior Sector.
- Rendering Legal advice/opinion on any matter with legal connotation referred to the Unit from the Ministry and its Parastatals;
- Preparation of Bills for amendment of laws or for enactment of new laws;
- Attending proceedings in the High Courts, National Industrial Court and Court of Appeal Nationwide and Multi-door Court, and Arbitration.
- Preparation and vetting of legal instruments (i.e Deeds of Guarantee, Powers of Attorney, Ministry of Interior Law Instruments, Searches, Investigations and Perfection of Title Deeds and liaison with regulatory authorities on legal issues concerning the Ministry;
- Participation in negotiations, preparing and vetting of Contract Agreement/Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and other legal documents.
- Representing the Ministry at Local and International meetings, seminars and workshops with legal connotation;
- Liaising with the Federal Ministry of Justice on behalf of the Ministry and its Parastatals on legal issues;
- Liaising with the National Assembly on pending Bills affecting the Ministry of Interior;
- Proposing Legislative Amendments to extant Acts and other legal instruments relating to the Ministry’s functions and its Parastatals.
- Proposing new Legislative Bills for new Agencies of the Federal Ministry of Ministry of Interior.
Press ReleaseView All
Public HolidaysView All
The Federal Government has declared Monday 1st October, 2018 Public Holiday to commemorate Nigeria’s 58th Independence Anniversary. Read More
The Federal Government has declares Friday as Work-Free Day Read More