Department of Joint Services
JOINT SERVICES DEPARTMENT
The Joint Services Department of the Ministry is one of the new Departments that emerged in 2007 as a specialized Departments in the Ministry. It came into existences as a result of the merger of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Ministry of Police Affairs to now become Ministry of Interior. It was formerly known as the “Para-Military Department”. The Department, however, continued to exist after demerging the Ministries in 2009 and re-merging of the same Ministries by the present administration in 2015. The Department is unique because of its sole responsibility of overseeing and coordinating the activities of the Paramilitary Services. These Services are:
- Nigeria Correctional Service
- Nigeria Immigration Service
- Federal Fire Service
- Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps
Functions of the Department
The strength of the Department hinges on the schedule of duty released. This includes the following:
- Preparation of the annual budget proposals of the services in conjunction with the budget office of the Ministry
- Monitoring and evaluation of the services projects to ensure conformity and execution as approved in the budget. This is in collaboration with the planning, research and Statistics Department.
- Participation in the annual recruitment exercise of four (4) of the services. This is in conjunction with the Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration and Prisons Services Board.
- Attending National and International meetings i.e Bilateral and Multilateral as members on issues relating to the formulation of policies that enhance the performance of the Paramilitary Agencies in the Ministry
- Coordinating the technical assistance program for the five (5) services
- Evaluation of the training proposals of the five (5) services.
- Coordinating of matters relating to the five (5) services
- Monitoring and evaluation of policy/budget implementation of the NCoS, NIS, FFS and NSCDC as well as participation in the process of analyzing hardware and logistics needs of the services
- Liaising with other Departments of the Ministry on issues relating to the Paramilitary services
- Any other matter assigned by the Honorable Minister and or Permanent Secretary.
Press ReleaseView All
FG UNVEILS BEST FIRE ACADEMY IN AFRICA
Public HolidaysView All
FG DECLARES MONDAY MAY 29TH, 2023 WORK FREE DAY FOR PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURATION Read More
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DECLARES MONDAY MAY 1ST, 2023 PUBLIC HOLIDAY TO MARK WORKER'S DAY CELEBRATION Read More
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DECLARES 21 AND 24 APRIL, 2023 PUBLIC HOLIDAY TO MARK EID AL-FITR CELEBRATION Read More
FG DECLARES 7TH AND 10TH APRIL, 2023 PUBLIC HOLIDAYS FOR EASTER CELEBRATION Read More
FG DECLARES DECEMBER, 26TH, 27TH, 2022 AND JANUARY 2ND, 2023 PUBLIC HOLIDAYS Read More